This policy explains the types of personal information we collect from you through certain interactions with our Online Services, how that personal information is used and shared, and how you can manage certain preferences regarding the personal information we collect from you through our Online Services. Please read this policy carefully and contact us if you have any questions.
We offer certain Online Services, including:
• Certain products, including software embedded in such products, that are designed to connect to the Internet
• Applications accessible through our websites, including certain applications accessible through a user account
• Mobile application software that may be downloaded to your mobile phone, tablet, or other supported device
• Cloud services accessible through all of the above
Information Covered by this Policy
This policy applies only to personal information we collect from you through our Online Services that refer to or display a link to this policy. Our Online Services are defined above.
Information We Collect
We collect information about you from a variety of sources, including personal information provided directly by you and information we collect by automated methods when you interact with our Online Services.
Information Provided Directly By You
We collect personal information that you provide to us through our Online Services; for example, when you request information about or purchase a product or service through one of our websites or mobile applications; create accounts on our websites or mobile applications; subscribe for email reminders and content; request text alerts and mobile phone notifications; activate or use an internet enabled product or service; submit an online entry in one of our sweepstakes or contests; submit rebates or coupons online; take an online survey; or submit information through any other interactive features of our websites, mobile applications, internet enabled products and services, or social media profiles. Such information can include, for example, your:
- E-mail address
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Username and password
- Social media information (e.g., ID, profile picture, gender, age range, friends’ IDs)
- Payment account or card number
- Purchase, return, and exchange information
- Demographic information about you and your household, such as gender or product use preferences, and behaviors
- Future communication preferences
- Contact information for others that you may wish for us to share content and other information with (e.g., links to articles, videos, and other content)
- Job applicant information when applying for a job through one of our websites, including, but not limited to, work experience, educational background, position sought and the information contained in your resume
If you choose not to provide certain personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the products, services, or information requested.
Information Automatically Collected
Each time you access or use our Online Services, we generate and collect certain information by automated methods and technologies, see the section below entitled "Technologies Used". Such information can include, for example:
- Browser characteristics
- Service provider IP address
- Search engine used to locate our website
- Search terms
- Unique device identifiers
- Device characteristics
- Location information based on GPS, Wi-Fi, or other means
- Operating system
- Language preferences
- Referring URLs
- Actions executed and visited content
- Error codes and product system logs
- Dates and times of use and access
- Application performance
We use certain methods and technologies to automatically collect and store certain types of information each time you interact with our Online Services, through your computer, mobile device, or other devices. Such automated methods and technologies can include, for example:
Cookies are small text files that websites send to a visitor's computer or other internet connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser and store information or settings in the browser. Cookies can be used, for example, to provide you the convenience of not having to reenter information.
A web beacon, also known as an internet tag, pixel tag, or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a webserver. Web beacons can be used, for example, to provide you with content targeted to your interests.
Clickstream data is a log generated from content that you click while browsing our websites or using our mobile applications. As your click through our websites or use our mobile applications, a record of the action may be collected and stored.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We may use the personal information we collect from you as described in this policy for our business purposes, to manage our business and conduct operations, and take actions as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements. Such uses can include, for example:
- Understanding your preferences and enhancing your experience with our Online Services
- Developing, marketing, selling, and providing products and services
- Conducting surveys, research, and evaluations
- Providing features tailored to your interests, geographic region, and other customizations
- Completing your request for services, information and content, or support
- Responding to your use of features on our websites, mobile applications, and internet enabled products and services
- Responding to your inquiries about our products and services, or employment with us
- Informing you of special events, offers, or programs offered by us or with other selected companies
- Improving our communications to you
- Performing data analytics and obtaining other demographic information
- Operating, evaluating, managing, improving, and developing our website, mobile applications, internet enabled products and services, business and operations, administer accounts
- Detecting and protecting us and other third parties against error, negligence, fraud, theft and other illegal activities and to audit compliance with policies
We also may use the personal information we collect from you as described in this policy in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
How We Share Your Personal Information
We may share the personal information we collect from you as described in this policy for our business purposes, to manage our business and conduct operations, and take actions as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements. Such instances can include, for example:
Affiliates and Related Parties
We may share personal information collected from you through our Online Services with any member company in the Scotts Miracle-Gro family of companies and other parties for which we act as an agent or service provider for pursuant to a legal agreement.
We may work with select retailers, business partners, and other companies at various times to provide expanded content, offers, or customizations. As part of such a relationship, we may share your personal information we collect from you through our Online Services with these companies or these companies may interact with your browser, collect, or have access to some or all of the personal information collected in connection with certain interactive functions offered through our Online Services.
We may use third-party service providers to perform certain functions or operations on our behalf and may share the personal information collected from you through our Online Services to allow such parties to perform these functions or operations. These third-party service providers may interact with your browser, collect, or have access to some or all of the personal information collected in connection with certain interactive functions offered through our Online Services. Examples include administering e-mail services, monitoring website activity, and running special promotions, such as online sweepstakes, contests or surveys.
Personal information may be a business asset transferred as part of a business transaction. We may share or transfer personal information collected from you through our Online Services in connection with the sale or transfer of a particular portion of our business or the sale or transfer of substantially all of our assets.
Compliance with Law or Protection
We may share personal information collected from you through our Online Services based on a good-faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to comply with the law or protect us or others from harm, including integrity of our Online Services, the users of our Online Services themselves, or the public.
Per Your Consent
We may share personal information collected from you through our Online Services in cases where you request us to do so. For example, if you ask us to provide your information to a third-party to facilitate the resolution of a dispute.
We may use third-party services and products in connection with the operation and management of our Online Services and content. These third-party providers help us with particular features, content, and analysis about how users access and use our Online Services. When you access or use our Online Services, certain information, such as your IP address, may be collected directly by these third-party providers. We or our third-party providers may also link your various devices so that content you see on one device may result in relevant advertising or content on another device, or the same device while visiting a third-party website.
Interest Based Advertising
We may participate in interest based and behavioral advertising. We allow third-party companies, such as ad networks, to collect certain information when you visit our Online Services. This information is used to serve ads for our products or services or for the products or services of other companies when you visit our websites or other third-party websites. These third-party companies use non-personally-identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over, hardware/software information, cookie and session ID) and personally identifiable information (e.g., static IP address) when you access websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you or advertising-related services, such as ad delivery, reporting, attribution, analytics, and market research. These third-party companies typically use a cookie, web beacon, or other similar tracking technologies to collect this information. To learn more about managing your preferences, if available, with respect to interest based and behavioral advertising, see the section below entitled "Your Preferences and Access to Your Personal Information".
Changes to This Policy and Notice
This policy may be revised by us from time to time, including when new features are added to our Online Services. We will notify you of changes to this policy by posting the new policy to our website. If we are required by law to provide you a notice, we may do so by email, telephone, mail, or any other means permitted by such law, at our option. If there is a material change to the personal information collected from you through our Online Services or our use of such information, the change will be applied only to information collected after the effective date of the change.